Information You Provide to Us
We collect information that you provide to us about you, about your device, and about how you use the Sites and Apps. This takes a few different forms and may vary depending on which of the Apps you are using.
Information About Your Use of the Apps
- Registration Information. This is the name, email address, zip code, gender, age, and any other information that you provide to us when you register to use the Apps, sign up for notifications or updates on the Sites, or participate in our surveys.
- Social Network Information. If you choose to connect an App to your social network accounts (or other third party services or applications, such as music or transportation providers), we may collect your public profile information (such as your name, gender, age, locale, email address, and profile picture) and other information to facilitate the connection of the third party service or application.
- Voice and Audio Information. This means the voice or audio interactions you provide us when you search for something with your voice or and audio recording, or use your voice to control the Apps. For example, when you sing or hum into the Apps, we collect that audio information.
- Usage Information. This is information about how you use the Sites and Apps, such as what you search for and what you look at.
Information We Automatically Collect
- Device Information This is information about the device and software you use to access our Sites or Apps, such as the operating system, hardware model, application or browser version, and unique identifiers associated with your device, such as your device’s advertising identifiers.
- Log Information. This is information we automatically collect into system logs or similar files about how you interact with our Sites or Apps, such as which features you visit or click on. This log information may also include things like your IP address, hardware settings, browser language, date and time of access, and cookie information.
Information You Choose to Provide
You may choose to provide us with the following information, which you can manage in your App settings, if applicable:
- Location Information. This is location information your mobile device or browser provides when you use the Sites or Apps. Depending on how you access the Sites or Apps, we may receive precise geolocation information from GPS, WiFi, or cell tower location, or rough location information.
- Contacts. Some of our Apps may ask for access to the contact information in your device’s address book. We may collect that information by uploading all of it to SoundHound.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information you provide to us to power and provide the Sites and Apps, and to continually improve them.
- Registration Information. We use your registration information to communicate with you (such as by sending notices to your email address) and to provide you with better service.
- Social Network Information. If you have connected an App to your social network account, we may store and use your social network information, such as your Facebook profile, to communicate with you, to update your status on your networks, to send messages on your behalf to your networks, and to provide other features and services to you.
- Voice and Audio Information. We use your voice and audio information to refine and improve our voice and audio recognition capabilities, and for the same purposes as your usage, device, and log information (as set forth below), such as to respond to requests, searches, or commands you speak into the Apps.
- Usage Information. We use your usage information to provide and improve our Sites and Apps, such as by associating search results, bookmarks, and other information with your device.
- Device and Log Information. As with usage information, we use device information and log information to provide and improve our Sites and Apps.
- Location Information. We use the location information provided by your device or browser to improve the relevance of information provided by the Sites and Apps, and to learn more about where our users come from. We may also use location information to improve the relevance of advertisements displayed to you.
- Contacts. We use contacts information provided by your device to provide and improve our Sites and Apps (for example, by processing and responding to your voice commands and queries involving your contacts to initiate a phone call or text message to a contact).
- Cookies. SoundHound cookies and third-party cookies (such as Google Analytics and advertiser cookies) are used to provide and improve our Sites and Apps, gather statistics about the use of the Sites and Apps, and improve the relevance of advertisements displayed on the Sites and in the Apps. Your device or browser may provide means to block cookies. However, if you block cookies, some features of the Sites and Apps may not function correctly.
How We Share Your Information
Subject to the Exceptions listed below, here is how we share your information with third parties.
- Registration Information. We only share your registration information — your name, email address, or other personally identifiable information — with third parties to help us communicate with you.
- Social Network Information. We do not share your social network information with third parties.
- Voice and Audio Information. If you are using a third party application that incorporates our technology through our Houndify program for application developers (a “Houndify-Enabled App”), we may share limited voice and audio information with the developer of that application to help them provide or improve their application. We do not otherwise share your voice and audio information with any third parties.
- Usage Information. We share usage information with our vendors, suppliers, advertisers, analytics companies, and others to improve our Sites and Apps and the relevance of the content provided by those third parties. This information is shared in aggregate form, except for certain interactions you make with advertising content (for example, when you click on an ad to upgrade an App). If you are using a Houndify-Enabled App, we may share certain usage information with the developer of that application to help them provide or improve their application.
- Device and Log Information and Cookies. We share device and log information, including IP address and device and other unique identifiers, with our vendors, suppliers, advertisers, analytics companies, and others to improve our Sites and Apps and the relevance of the content provided by those third parties. If you are using a Houndify-Enabled App, we may share certain device and log information with the developer of that application to help them provide or improve their application. We do not share information about our own cookies with third parties; third parties can access cookie information only from their own cookies. We utilize third-party analytics, including Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, to understand our users better so that we can improve our Sites and Apps to you. We may also share anonymous demographic and age data with our advertising partners.
- Location Information. Consistent with your device and/or App settings, we share location information with advertisers and other third parties in order to provide and improve your Hound experience and the relevance of the content displayed to you both on and off the Sites and Apps (for example, by giving you more useful responses to your search queries that involve location). If you are using a Houndify-Enabled App, we may share certain location information with the developer of that application to help them provide or improve their application.
- Contacts. We do not share your contacts with any third parties.
The Apps may provide functionality for sharing or exporting your search results to others or to another app on your device, and by using that functionality, you consent to the sharing or exporting of that information.
We may also disclose your information:
- in response to legal process, or as otherwise required to comply with the law;
- to protect the rights or property of SoundHound or our customers;
- when we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of any person; or
- if we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy or liquidation where the business will not continue as a going concern, receivership, sale of assets, or transition of our Sites or Apps to another provider, then any information we collect may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction as permitted by law and/or contract.
Your Privacy Choices
You may limit some of the information we collect as follows:
- Location Information. You may stop our collection of location information in one of our Apps by managing your App settings or turning off location services for your device, if your device allows you to do so. Please refer to your device’s settings or user manual for instructions on how to turn off location services.
- Personalized Advertising. We work with certain advertising service providers who may collect non-personally identifying information from you when you use our Apps and may use that or other information to serve you with advertisements that may be of greater interest to you. Some of these service providers are members of the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance. If you do not wish to receive personalized ads in our Apps, please visit the opt-out pages for those organizations to learn about how you may opt out of receiving personalized ads from member companies.
- Advertising Identifiers. You may opt out of our use of your mobile device’s advertising identifier to serve personalized advertising in our Apps by enabling the global interest-based advertising opt-out option appropriate to your device. Please note that opting out via this setting will not affect our use or sharing of any information we have already collected. For more information regarding these advertising identifiers and their options, please visit https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3405269 for Android devices or https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202074 for iOS devices.
- Marketing Communications. Any marketing emails we send you will contain instructions for how to unsubscribe from receiving future marketing communications. Please note, however, that you may still receive administrative announcements, such as service disruptions, via email even if you unsubscribe from marketing communications.
If you opt not to provide us with some of the information we collect, you should know that some features of the Apps may not work as intended without access to these sorts of information. For example, navigation features in our Apps need access to your location to work properly and responses to voice queries that involve contacts’ information will not work as well without knowing the spelling of your contacts.
Storage of Information
We retain the information we collect from you so that we can improve our Sites and Apps and provide a better experience to our users. By using our Sites or Apps, you expressly consent to the storage of the information we collect from you, including your registration information, location information, and recordings of your voice, in a form associated with your device identifiers.
The Sites and Apps are NOT for Children 13 and Under
Unfortunately, our Sites and Apps are not for children under age 13. By using the Sites or Apps, you represent that you are 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13, do not use the Sites or Apps or send any information about yourself to us. Consistent with the federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), we will never knowingly request or collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requiring parental consent. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete personally identifiable information from a user within a reasonable period of time after learning that the user was under 13.
Third Party Apps and Links to Third Party Websites
Do Not Track
Some browsers provide you with a way to signal that you do not want your browsing activity to be tracked. The Sites and Apps may not currently respond to a Do Not Track ("DNT") or similar signal, as we are awaiting consensus from the Internet policy and legal community on the meaning of DNT and the best way to respond to these signals.
Your Consent to International Data Transfer
Changes to this Policy
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Privacy Statement, please email us at email@example.com.
Effective Date: August 30, 2017